Being able to divide a word into syllables is a very important pre-reading skill! Reading words in syllables is no use if students can’t understand what word they have just read, so they need to be able to hold each syllable in their mind and then string them back together.
Our students need us to give them time to practice dividing words into chunks and putting them back together in a relaxed, fun environment (like while playing a game). This practice can help students transfer these skills to print when they are ready to learn to read.
This Super syllabes! resource contains 12 game boards for a very simple game that gets students to practice dividing and counting syllables in words.
To play this game, you will need…
- The desired game board
- Corresponding 15 word cards
- Snap cubes (you can give each student a different colour of cubes, but as this isn’t a competitive game, it is not necessary)
How to play:
- Each student will draw a card one at a time and name the image on the card. They MUST say the word out loud before counting (this is a great bonus way to sneak in some vocabulary practice!).
- After saying the word out loud, they break it into chunks (orally) and count how many syllables.
- Once they know how many syllables are in the word, they make a tower with that number of snap cubes and cover the picture on the game board.
- I use this as a cooperative game, and we all work together to fill the board as quickly as possible, but you could also get your students to play competitively with different coloured cubes.
In my classroom, I prefer to use this game as a warm-up activity during guided reading. I find that correct chunking takes practice and I want to make sure my maternelle students are dividing each word in the correct places, and not practicing bad habits. However, I have also included an “I Can” card that you can print and use if your students are already pros and you would like to use this game as an independent centre!
Game boards are included for the following themes:
- Animals (x2)
*This download entitles the purchaser to use it in ONE classroom only. Thank you so much for respecting my time and effort!*